Monday, January 4, 2010

Another World

Getting my feet wet in this new world….

Nothing of real significance to report, so I’ll keep it brief, post it, and see what it looks like. The flight, nonstop from LA to Bangkok, was quite tolerable, given that it was 18 hours long. But I think it was easier without layovers, waits, delays, etc. that can all come up when there’s a break in the flight. I’ll mention only one thing I observed on the flight – one of the movie choices was the Michael Jackson concert film, This Is It. I intended to just check it out, but I found it surprisingly affecting, watching the working process of an amazing artist, no matter how strange he may have been. A movie of a finished concert would not have held my interest, but this had really beautiful moments.

The taxi ride into Bangkok on a Sunday morning was a reminder that I will see little in the way of clear skies for the next 6 weeks. But this hotel (the Swissotel Nai Lert Park) is an amazing haven from the city around it. Yesterday I left Bangkok to spend 3 hours in Pandora, 3-D and all. I’m totally blown away by the experience of seeing this movie. I’m inclined to agree with the critics who speculate that this film will have a place similar to The Jazz Singer in 1928. One interesting effect of seeing the movie in Bangkok was that when the Pandorans speak to each other, the subtitled translation was in Thai, which might as well be Pandoran for me.

Enough for now, the flight to Kolkata leaves this evening, and then things really begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment