Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sea of Vegetables - with pictures

 Some changes I perceived during this last period in Kolkata - actually they are things that don’t seem to be there any more, so I only became aware later on. Mostly sounds - the sounds that used to be very common on the street outside Transit House and other places that I have stayed over the years. The Indian street used to be a kaleidoscope of the sounds, the calls and other signals made by the people who supplied various services or sold things from house to house. Many people have commented that these ways are changing rapidly in the cities, that these traditional practices are fading, but, as with many things, Kolkata has, or had, preserved these ways much more than other metropolitan areas. I still see street-side barbers set up under a tree, and all the street-side food stalls making tea, samosas and chow mein.

But this time I became aware of some sounds missing that I was accustomed to hearing - the sound of the chowkidar, the traditional night watchman for instance. If I was up very early or couldn’t sleep I would here the chowkidar banging his staff on the gates of the houses as he passed by. He wasn’t there to actually catch thieves (miscreants in local parlance), but to let them know someone was around so they would run off. there was a call, a vocalization, of a fruit seller, pineapple I think, that I would always hear, but not this time. I especially will miss the signal of the mattress beater, who would come around from house to house and beat some air into the cotton stuffing commonly used in mattresses, which would get packed down over time. He would twang the taut string of the mattress beating tool he used - sorry I don’t have a picture from some previous trip - in a wonderful triple-time rhythm: 1 - - 1 - - 1 - - 1 2 3 1- - 1 - - 1 - - 1 2 3 1- - 1 2 3 1- - 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 - -, etc., with many variations.

One aspect of an older style of India urban life that does seem to be alive and well into the 21st century is that farmers and sellers still set up their fresh vegetables to sell on the sidewalk, even in the more upscale areas of the city. The area where I have stayed for many years, Lake Market, is a traditional market area, so the sellers who don’t want or maybe can’t deal with having an actual market stall just flood the sidewalks around the market building. One of the important philosophical concepts connected with music in India is the Nada Samudra, the Ocean of Sound or Vibration that surrounds everything. I have always thought of the Lake Market area as the Sabzi Samudra: the Sea of Vegetables.

I haven’t got time right now to figure out how to organize these pictures into an album, so I’m just putting them all at the end of the text.













No comments:

Post a Comment